Sunday, September 14, 2008

Top Five: Missing a Flight

On the return from a recent business trip to Ireland and the UK, I had a connecting flight to get me to the nonstop Paris-SLC flight (with a 90-minute layover), but Icame perilously close to missing the flight back to Salt Lake. Here are the five steps that nearly got me cooling my heels in the Paris airport:

5. Set up the world's worst check in system for Heathrow airport. Multiple lines, one so massive it snaked back into the next room, with no instructions why you'd go in one line or the other. Incomprehensible check in kiosks. One person out front to guide 200 people wanting to check in. Looked like the worst third world airport I've ever been in. So in the best third world tradition, I insinuated myself into the forward part of the line and got to my gate in time. Only to find...

4. Delay the connecting flight because of fog. The departure of our London-Paris flight was delayed 50 minutes because there was fog at Charles deGaulle airport. Really--planes can't land because of fog? I suppose they stop flights when it gets dark too? Add 50 minutes.

3. Have air traffic control mess up the landing. We were on final approach to Charles deGaulle when the plane suddenly accelerated and continued past the airport. Apparently the plane in front of us hadn't cleared the runway, so we had to loop around and get back in line. Add 10 minutes.

2. Put the ongoing flight at the opposite end of the airport from the incoming flight. We came in at the far left of the long terminal, the ongoing flight was at the far right. Moving sidewalks helped, but I'm not in shape for jogging with suitcases. Add 10 minutes.

1. Ensure the security machines break while you're in line. Got two lines shot out from under me. In desperation, asked for and finally got an ok to you the first class security line, which had nobody in it. Add 20 minutes. Whoops, time's up!

0. Be the last one admitted on the plane by anxious check in crew as you huff and puff up to the departure gate. Aaaaahhhh, made it! (OK, adding zero
is cheating, but it is my blog...)

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Thank heavens for those third world country experiences! You sure knew the ropes!

Glad your home-- even a little early to enjoy the BYU game1

Kaylene said...

Wow! Glad you made it home without getting stuck in Paris. Though I can think of worse places to get stuck in, LOL!