Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Top Five: Ice Cream Flavors

5. Alafua College Mango. When we lived in Samoa, the local agricultural college had an ice cream making facility. We'd buy half gallons of a few different flavors. My favorite was the mango, creamy and infused with local mangoes.

4. Italienischer Eis. Italian ice cream, all kinds of flavors served in small stores in Germany. Maddeningly small portions, but only one Deutschmark, and refreshingly cool after a hot day of tracting. The texture was somewhere between US ice cream and sherbert. OK, I didn't exactly choose a flavor, but it's my list.

3. Pistachio Cashew. A green ice cream, never could tell how the flavor related to pistachios, loaded with chunks of cashews. This is a childhood favorite, found in Thrifty Drug Stores, vanilla 59 cents a half gallon, all other flavors 69 cents. I've seen this flavor in recent times, but it's always the cheaper pistachio peanut...

2. Philadelphia style Vanilla. This is the vanilla ice cream with little flecks of real vanilla bean. Seems to have a deeper flavor, and all those bean flecks have got to be good for you, right?


1. Rocky Road. Has to be the kind with chocolate ice cream, nuts, and marshmallow chunks. Make Dad happy and get him real Rocky Road! And no wimpy small bowls either!

What's your favorite?

4 comments:

Peggy said...

My least favorite: licorice. Jim Hanes once bought me licorice at Baskin Robbins. Think my favorite would be a creamy praline!

Liz said...

Rocky road ice cream for sure, but it absolutely has to be Private Selection Brand that can be purchased at Smiths grocery store - the flavor is super rich . . . so sad, I'm currently trying to get rid of the baby weight and this is on my no-no list.

Suzanne said...

Baskin Robbins Chocolate and Peanut Butter for me. I do remember getting chocolate chip from a store in the Rossmoor shopping mall...can't remember the store name, though. Best for our family...peach ice cream at some gas station we bought gas at on our way out of Hannibal, Missouri...again, can't think of the name!

kevsteelio said...

Marionberry Pie Icecream from Tillamook Oregon Dairy. I got addicted to it on my mission. Unfortunately, tillamook does not normally ship their icecream outside of the northwest. So while I have detoxed, I'm very sure that the next time I'm up in Oregon, I'm definitely going to Relapse. :)