Monday, September 1, 2008

Top Five: Latter-day Prophets

5. Heber J. Grant. He makes the top five for one talk he gave, teaching about perseverance and combating the lies that Satan uses to keep us from our potential. President Grant mentioned how he was in debt over $100,000 (an even more enormous sum in the early 20th century), and felt inspired to admit his debt over the pulpit, and proclaim he would have the debt settled within a year. When he sat down, a voice said to him, "You lie, you lie." He knew it was Satan trying to undercut the spirit of revelation. He persevered, and sure enough he was out of debt within a year.

4. Brigham Young. Man of the hour--actually, man of the three decades--when Joseph and Hyrum Smith were murdered, and the church could easily have faded into obscurity. I love him for his drive and for his devotion. As with any strong leader in a crisis, he did plenty of things that draw lightning, irritating many. And some of his views, perhaps prejudices, threaten to overwhelm the good he did, seen from the 21st century. But without his strong leadership, Mormonism would not be a force in people's lives today.

3. Gordon B. Hinckley and David O. McKay. Okay, it's cheating to have two, but I couldn't decide. President Hinckley is the only prophet I've shaken hands with and talked to one on one, as he visited my mission in Germany in 1971 and I had an interview with him. And President McKay was the prophet of my youth--set apart a month before I was born, died when I was a freshman in college. I remember listening to general priesthood meeting in our stake center, and as a deacon or teacher being bored and unattentive, but then President McKay would speak, and there was a difference somehow--an early intimation of the uniqueness of prophets. Their devotion to principle and positive demeanors both did much in their day to present the church in a good light to the world at large--a difficult thing to accomplish.

2. Joseph Smith. The blender approach taken for the church's priesthood/Relief Society study manuals--taking snippets and organizing them into lesson topics--has the unfortunate side effect of making it almost impossible to tell one prophet from another. But not Joseph Smith, his unique voice comes through unmistakably loud and clear. To take the restoration on from your youth, to fight against unremitting enmity from the people around you, to create so much--it's impossible to comprehend how he did it. He should be #1, but I wasn't around when he was, so it puts him at a little distance. So, my number 1 is



1. Spencer W. Kimball. As I entered adulthood, the one thing that concerned me about latter-day prophets was that most of them after Joseph and Brigham seemed to be administrators first and foremost. No new doctrine, just mostly administrivia--where should we put a new stake, should we emphasize missionary work or the Book of Mormon, and so on. Not President Kimball. There were big administrative deals, like the new version of the scriptures, and the reconstitution of the general Quorums of Seventy. But President Kimball went much further. He proposed new scripture (D&C 137-138) to expand our understanding of temple work. In perhaps his crowning achievement, he bucked history and drew the revelation extending the priesthood to all worthy males from God. Without his surprising drive to seek and implement this revelation, who knows how many more years or decades would have gone by with the church still hobbled by racism.

So I love President Kimball for being the most prophet-like of all the prophets in my lifetime. One more example: I admit I was getting tired of the apparent mundaneness of many of his messages: paint your barn, lengthen your stride, don't kill birds for sport, etc. Then suddenly one conference he talked about how little we knew about God's knowledge, for example, what exactly did it take to resurrect a person? I never assumed again that his was a limited mind. God bless him, and God bless all our latter-day prophets.

Who's your number one?

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Mark! I LOVE your favorite fives idea! Speaking of favorites, you're my NUMBER ONE favorite. And my vote is Pres. Kimball; he was simply part of the Harmon family era!

Kaylene said...

You can pick 5 (6), but I can only pick one???? No fair! Mine are Joseph Smith and Gordon B Hinkley.

Liz said...

My mom kept the newspaper that had the articles about President Kimball - my dad has it stored away for safe keeping. I remember the story she tells about his passing and how she felt very sad because he was such an amazing example.

Liz

Suzanne said...

Yeah, definitely Pres. Kimball. He was President when I was in the Young Women's program and at a very questioning time of my life.

One of my best memories....we went to a huge conference at the Rose Bowl to hear him speak. The congregation was told at the beginning that we were not in a usual church building, but it was still a sacred meeting...they emphasized NOT leaving the meeting early to beat traffic.

Of course, as the closing song started, folks got up to leave. As the person got up to give the closing prayer, Pres. Kimball got up and said very forcable..."sit down where ever you are until we are done"! Whenever I see people leaving early, I always think about that moment!