Sunday, December 21, 2008

Top Five: Inspiring lines from Christmas carols

Here are some lines that deeply affect me from a range of Christmas carols. If you know the tunes, let them roll around in your heart as you read the words. The titles link to video performances of each song.

5. Some Children See Him

The Children in each different place
will see the baby Jesus' face
like theirs, but bright with heavenly grace,
and filled with holy light.

O lay aside each earthly thing
and with thy heart as offering
come worship now the infant King,
'Tis love that's born tonight!

4. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead, nor doth he sleep.
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.

Another arrangement of I Heard the Bells

3. O Holy Night

Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new a glorious morn.

The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials, born to be our friend.
He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger.

2. In the Bleak Midwinter

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb.

If I were a Wise Man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can, I give him,
Give, give my heart.

1. O Come, O Come Emmanuel

O come, desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind.

Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be thyself our King of Peace.

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee,
O Israel.


Have a merry and blessed Christmas!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Very nice post, Mark. I don't think I know the 5th song though...can't bring a tune to my memory?

Thank you for the DVD of the family photos..nice memories, especially at this time of the year.